Four day weekend!

I have a four day weekend, because the governor of Georgia furloughed teachers for 3 days this semester. The first furlough day was July 31st, which was supposed to be my first day on the job pre planning and my new employee orientation. The governor said "3 unpaid days off" and each system chose it's days. So it's Elbert County's fault I never had a new employee orientation, which may be why I never was given a contract to sign. Might be, because I have been told that this is not the first time a teacher has been on the classroom for a month, or even a semester without a contract.

My second furlough day will be the Tuesday after Labor Day, which most teachers are happy about because it gives them a 4 day weekend- setting aside the fact that a furlough is a temporary pay cut. Of course, I never signed a contract so I really do not know for sure what my yearly salary is supposed to be, but I know whatever it was it cut down by 3 days. I know some of you might think "Well, it's your responsibility to make sure you have these things" and that is true to a certain extent. But I am 35 years old, I have been working full time since I was 22 and I have never been in such a crazy, disorganized situation.

A part of me is happy about this, because I have no legal obligation to stay in this job. I mean, I am a free agent after all. So I am using my furlough and my 4 day weekend to create an exit strategy out of this job. I am seriously considering giving the principal a month to find my replacement ( I hear there is a lady who has applied twice for this job waiting in the wings) and moving on. My mentor teacher has told me she is leaving when she runs out her contract, because she will be vested by then and she cannot deal with it anymore. And she is the school hero!

I hate to be a quitter, but as I said to Michael there are times when one must quit a bad situation to maintain one's sanity. If this were not true I would still be married to my ex husband. Michael had a good laugh over this, it is hard to argue with my logic. Michael says Jesse Ventura once said becoming a Navy seal is mostly about wanting to become one, if you don't really want it you will not make it. Bottom line: I really don't want this. I think teaching and seals are equitable, don't you?

Another thing we did this weekend was have a dinner at the local Lutheran Church to celebrate our marriage with the family. I know, I know, the church? Don't worry, Michael and I are still heathens. His aunt on his father's side, the matriarch if you will, wanted to do this for us and it was very sweet. Lots of good food, gifts, cake, family, all around wholesome fun. They are wonderful warm people and we are blessed to have them want to celebrate with us- even if it is in a church fellowship hall...

Something Michael and I have decided to do is rewatch all our movies. Now as many of you know we have quite a large collection. Being the geek that I am my collection is alphabetically organized in an excel spreadsheet. As we rewatch them all I am including Michael's movies to my database to make it "our" movie collection. For those who are curious this means we watched "3:10 to Yuma"the remake with Crowe and Bale, followed by the "8 Mile", and this afternoon it will be "12 Angry Men", the original with Henry Fonda. It should be interesting when we follow it with "21 Grams", you know with Benicio del Toro. I highly recommend doing this for those of you who have movie collections. We are having a good time with it and wondering how long it will take to do since we have over 300 movies. And then of course there is the fact that Michael is dreading "Beaches" and "Pretty Woman" as much as I am dreading "Highlander" and "The Samurai Trilogy" of Hiroshi Inagaki. Isn't this what marriage is all about?

Love you guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last pregnancy update

Barefoot and pregnant

Pregnancy... baby blog